Advice on care

If you need support or are caring for a friend or relative, they may be able to get some support and you, as a carer, may be entitled to financial assistance.

Support from your local authority

If someone you know needs support, the best thing to do is contact your local social services team. They will be able to tell you whether you are likely to get support, what financial help is available, and how to arrange an assessment.

Alternatively you can visit your GP, who will be able to signpost you to the services available.

Care Direct

Whether you are funding your own care or not, if you live in Bristol it is advisable to contact care direct on 0117 922 2700 or via the secure online referral form on the Care Direct website.

Types of support

Benefits and advice for carers

People who care for a friend or family member and who are not paid for doing so may be entitled to benefits. The carers' support centre can offer you advice, advocacy and support.

Care in your own home

Sometimes just a few hours of support are needed to get certain things done. This could be dealing with bills, shopping, medication or personal care. If you are finding it hard to get meals arranged, having someone come to your home and do this can be a great relief.

Milestones Trust provides support at home for people with dementia, with a learning or physical disability, or with mental health needs.

Living independently in a supported accommodation scheme

If you are fairly independent, sometimes the best option is to live in a flat or shared house where there is a member of staff available for a certain amount of time each week. This means that you can manage your own affairs, but if you need help with something, there is someone there to call upon.

Care homes

The Bristol Dementia Care Centre

If you need to live somewhere with 24-hour support, a residential care home might suit you best. Staff can support you to pursue your own interests, and you will not have to worry about sorting out meals and household chores.

Nursing homes

If you need more intensive support, you can move to a nursing home, where there will be a qualified nurse available 24-hours a day. This may suit people who need help with feeding, moving and personal care.

Advice for Carers

Bristol City Council and NHS Bristol have come together as partners to continue their support for carers. For more information you can read their leaflet for carers.